Robert Henry Avery, PE
Born October 21, 1922 in Cambridge, MA, son of the late James & Mary (Hayes) Avery, he passed away peacefully July 12, 2018 at the age of 95.
As a young man with a love of drafting and math, he took an entry-level position in an engineering firm in Boston. While working full time, he attended Lowell Institute, MIT classes at night, majoring in mechanical and electrical engineering. He graduated in 1943 and advanced his engineering career, while he was designing a synthetic-rubber plant.
His interest in solving the design problems of refinery-process piping led him to career opportunities in Toledo; in 1962 he became a licensed Ohio Professional Engineer. After developing a faithful client base, he established AVCA Corporation, Consulting Engineers in 1973. Under his leadership, AVCA grew to be one of the top twenty engineering firms in the nation.
Bob was highly regarded in his field and in 1989, the Technical Society of Toledo recognized him as Engineer of the Year Award.
Throughout his life, Bob practiced his Christian faith every day, an example to all who knew him. A life to be proud of. He was an active member of Trinity Nazarene Church and loved his ‘church family.’ He was also a dedicated member of the Gideons, a highlight of his Christian life.
Bob goes to join his beloved wife, Ruth. He is survived by his brother Fr. Edward, predeceased by brothers and sisters: Charlotte, Fr. Joe, Betty, Betty Marie and George. He will be deeply missed by his children: Robert, Paul (Jill), Eileen (Michael), Esther, and Rebecca (Rick), his grandchildren: Ryan (Michelle), Michelle, Jonathan, Nicole (Evan), Alexander; his great-grandchildren: Rosa, Cooper, Kobe, Edward, Weston and Liam; and many nieces & nephews.
Visitation will be held Friday July 20, 2018 at the Reeb Funeral Home, Sylvanias, OH. 5:30 P.M. – 7:30 P.M. The funeral service will be conducted at the Trinity Church of the Nazarene, 4930 Flanders Rd., Toledo, OH 43623, Saturday July 21, at 1:00 P.M.
If so desired, memorial contributions may be made to Trinity Nazarene Church.